Friday, May 29, 2015

椰林风光 Coconut Flavor Kuih


This morning as I was leafing through some cookbooks, I came across a page which was bookmarked as 'tried and tested' recipe in December 2013 which immediately sprang me into digging the computer hard disk for any saved photos (if any) of this chinese dessert I attempted making 2 years ago.

To my disappointment, only one photo came into view. From the photo I couldn't quite remember how the kuih tasted but from the photo I reckoned it somehow appeared less  of those 'melt in the mouth' effect I wanted, therefore, I rolled up my sleeves and set about revisiting the recipe and adapt to whatever deemed necessary.


This time round I actually got down to using fresh coconut milk instead of the instant packet ones I used a lot whenever I make asian desserts that called for coconut milk. I am very happy with the outcome as compared with the one I did 2 years ago, which was slightly harder, like chewing hardened rubber, this one is actually smoother and silkily chewy that almost instantly glides and melts away.

Now, I finally understood why certain recipes taste best with original unprocessed ingredients. Lesson learn from this experience, always and always use fresh coconut milk for better result. For your info, I bought the grated fresh coconut 3 weeks ago and not knowing when I will actually use it, I stored it in the freezer. 

Thaw the frozen grated coconut several hours before using.  Even after thawing I find the coconut rather dry and difficult too squeeze out the milk. So I blended the grated coconut with water and sieved out the milk for use. Try it. It will be much easier than trying to do manually by hand.


椰林风光 

Coconut Flavor Kuih

Ingredients 材料 (A)
40g Rice Flour 沾米粉
40g Tapioca Flour 木薯粉
13g Potato Flour 马铃薯粉
50g Sugar 糖
100g Coconut Milk 椰浆
130ml Water 水
25ml Evaporated Milk 淡奶
1/8 Tsp Salt 盐
1 Tbsp Panda Juice 班兰叶汁 
1 Drop Green Colouring (optional) 青色素

Ingredients 材料 (B)
40g Rice Flour 沾米粉
40g Tapioca Flour 木薯粉
13g Potato Flour 马铃薯粉
50g Coconut Milk 椰浆
1/8 Tsp Salt 盐

Ingredients 材料 C
(Dissolved and Set to Cool 煮溶后待冷)

70g Palm Sugar (chopped)
200ml Water


Method

Combine ingredients (A) thoroughly and mix until sugar dissolved. Filter and set aside.
材料(A)搅拌至糖溶. 过滤待用. 

In another bowl, combine ingredients (B) and (C) evenly. Filter.
在另一个搅拌碗里,加入材料(B和C)搅拌均匀后过滤。

Apply a layer of oil onto individual muffin cups or any preferred mould and steam the empty mould for several minutes before using. 
先将个别松饼杯或任选模具的表层 抹上油, 使用前蒸空模几分钟。

Pour 1-1.5 Tbsp of the (A) mixture into the mould and steam under medium high for 4 minutes.
倒入2大汤匙青色粉浆, 蒸4分钟.

Pour 1-1.5 Tbsp of the palm mixture (B&C) onto the steam green mixture (A) layer and steam  under medium high heat for 4 minutes.
之后在蒸熟青色粉浆层上倒入2大汤匙椰糖粉浆, 蒸4分钟.


Repeat the steps till mixtures are used up. Steam the last layer for 10 minutes.
重复以上步骤直到所有粉浆蒸完为止. 最后一层蒸10分钟.


This was the only photo taken from the first attempt 2 years ago.









No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...