Friday, February 13, 2015

酥碎水蜜桃芝士蛋糕 Crumble Peach Cheesecake....... My distant love


I started baking several years ago with only a couple of baking books as my baking bible. Today I have collected more than 40 books on bread, cakes, pastries, cook books bought through various places and some from a dear old buddy friend Junie from Singapore who went around places to get me the requested books. All thanks to this old time buddy of mine whom I got acquainted while working in Singapore more than 20 decades ago. Although she is a proclaimed non supporter of sweet food nor cakes, cheesecake is something she couldn't add to her 'Dislike' list.


Cheesecake, for some people, is an acquired taste food. You either love or hate it.  I grew up in a pretty traditional environment and my exposure to cakes were mainly birthday sponge cakes dressed with thick layers of cream, chiffon cakes, 发糕, 马来糕, roulette cakes. During then, the most 'happening' cake was Black Forest cake.  Ever since I had my first bite of what cheesecake was like, I never stopped eating them whenever I patronize places or eateries which also serves such wonder. After converting to a full vegan, my love for the taste of cheesecake has slowly ebbed away like a distant memory. Even so, I still got to brace myself to avoid reliving back the old memories whenever I had to bake one. It's one of the very few type of cakes which would ever get neglected when I made one. So far, no one has turned down when I offer them cheesecake.

Yesterday while going through my book shelf, I randomly leaf through some of my older cake book collections and this cake recipe caught my attention. Mainly because I still have a new 500g block of cream cheese bought from my last trip back from KL and with Chinese New Year holiday looming around the corner, I decided to make good use of this cream cheese and turn it into another photography project for my new blog.

Unlike most cheesecake recipe, this recipe called for the making and baking it own biscuit base layer instead of crushing store bought ones. Doing everything from scratch allow you to create your preferred flavor / taste biscuits. Eg. You may add cinnamons, ginger, lemon, chocolate, green tea etc etc while doing your own biscuit layer.

Be prepared to slough an hour or two doing the preparation works. Lots of washing up of measuring cups, equipments to do after that. And when the cake came out well, then you will realize all the hard work paid off.  Go ahead and try it and you will know what I meant.


酥碎水蜜桃互芝士蛋糕
Crumble Peach Cheesecake
(Recipe adapted from Alex Goh's 'In Love With Cakes'

Ingredients 

Biscuit Base (A)
200g Plain Flour
138g Butter (softened, I used salted due to preference)
50g Light Brown Sugar

Cheese Filling (B)
500g Cream Cheese (softened)
100g Icing Sugar (sifted)
20g Corn Flour

(C)
3 Grade B Eggs ( I used Grade A weighing between 65-70g each)
100g Top Whipping Cream 
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice ( I replaced with 1 tsp  Vanilla extract & 1 tbsp orange juice)

(D)
1  Can of canned Peach (drain and cut quartered) 

Crumble Topping (E)
120g Plain Flour
60g Walnut (chopped)
60g Almond (chopped)
78g Butter (softened, I used salted ones)
60g Castor Sugar


Method

Cut out 2 pieces of 9" x 17" aluminum paper and line the sides of the 9" Square baking pan by overlapping each other horizontally and vertically.  This is applicable if you do not own or do not wish to bake using the springform type of baking pan, the extra lengths from the sides will allow easier removal of the cake later on.


Biscuit Base : Preheat oven to 180C. Mix (A) into a smooth dough and press it onto the 9"    baking pan. Press evenly. Poke with fork and bake in the middle rack for 20 minutes.



Cheese Filling : Whisk (B) till fluffy, add (C) and combine well. Pour batter onto the baked biscuit base and arrange the canned peaches (D) onto it.



Crumble Topping : Use fingers to mix (E) till it turn into crumbles. Sprinkle the crumbles on top of the cake. Bake the cake at 150C in oven for 60mins.  I baked for another 5mins as my cake was on the moist side. Remove from oven and allow to the cake to cool down before storing it in the fridge (min 6 hours) or preferably overnight before consuming. 





Note : I did not remove the cake from the pan to  
          help it stay in shape. You may cover the 
         top pan with aluminum wrap to prevent 
         the cake from hardening.

                    

No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...